The Parent Council have formed a working group of parents ( and others) who are passionate about re-establishing the Outdoor Learning tradition of KHS..to develop a programme of memorable experiential learning for pupils. Anyone interested in joining our group – for one project or more, will be very welcome! Below is a summary of the ideas (projects) which we hope to develop from August 2014..and there is a page for each to provide more detail.
Principle Aim : To get more children outdoors – more often!
- Support staff in the delivery of the DofE Awards ( Bronze, Silver & Gold), through voluntary assistance with the expeditions, and so make the award more accessible to more pupils.
- To ensure that OL in Primary school into S1-S3 is progressive and linked to the curriculum
- Build an indoor climbing wall on site, and train staff to operate it, and run a club that is open to the pupils and the community
- Establish a programme of visiting speakers to speak at school assemblies
- To provide a more varied route for Senior Phase pupils – with OL featuring in a new Rural Skills programme, and an NC in Activity Tourism
- To raise awareness of OL objectives amongst pupils, parents and the wider community.